February 14, 2013 In Uncategorized
Trees and Shrubs in February:
This is the latest time to plant your trees and bare-root shrubs.
- Dig a hole diameter of 4 to 5 times higher then size of the shrub you are going to plant.
- Crumble the soil that was removed and ensure there are no more stones
- Mix the soil with planting compost and organic matter. You can also add sand if your soil is not well drained.
- Place the root ball in a bucket of water to rehydrate the roots.
- Put a handful of fish blood and bone fertilizer in the hole.
- Place your tree or shrub in the middle of the hole taking care of spreading the roots at the bottom.
- Fill the hole with the mixture you have prepared (soil, compost and organic matter).
- Tamp the soil lightly and water thoroughly.[/checklist]